ASU latest news
- In-home aged care – delegates claims for employersApril 3, 2020
- ASU Exclusive – Boost Your Skills While At HomeMarch 31, 2020
- Vision Super is here for youMarch 31, 2020
- 7 tips to avoid spending your savingsMarch 31, 2020
- Maintaining Mental Health During Social IsolationMarch 31, 2020
9 hours ago
Last week Geelong Council made the extraordinary decision to stand down over 500 of their staff in leisure and recreation. This took effect last Wednesday.
State and Federal Governments are digging deep to support workers and the community, it’s only fair that local government does the same, especially a Council like Geelong.
We are calling on Geelong Council to immediately reverse this decision. Federal and State MPs in Geelong agree with us.
The State Government needs to take urgent action to make sure councils don’t shirk their responsibilities like Geelong is trying to do.
www.asuvictas.com.au/geelong-cc-state-federal-mps-support-asu-call-to-reinstate-stood-down-workers/ ... See MoreSee Less
This time we need our unions more than ever hoping you will also support those in age care
You cant reinstate if thier area of work is closed ie leisure centres ..... they should be REDEPLOYED to other areas like some other councils .... use them to do works needed like mulching .. litter collection in parks .... better than being in line at Centrelink.
Qantas want to rip off 20,000 of their employees whom they have stood down. We won't let them.
Qantas need to do the right thing and allow their employees to use their accrued personal leave when they are unwell or needing to care for a family member.
The Fair Work Commission has told them to listen to us and come to an agreement.Qantas has told its workers it will not pay sick leave. During the biggest health crisis we have seen.
So we took Qantas to court.
Today the Fair Work Commission told Qantas to talk to the unions. We agree.
Here’s what we have to say to Qantas: Pay your workers sick leave. Anything less in unacceptable.
Read about it here: bit.ly/FWC-Qantas-timetotalk ... See MoreSee Less
TasNetworks USE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND DIRTY TRICKS TO CONTINUE ATTACKS ON WORKERS
Unions representing workers at Government owned energy distributor TasNetworks have slammed the company for using the restrictions of a national crisis to impose a dud workplace agreement.
Communications, Electrical and Plumbing State Organiser Lee Archer said that workers and the community expected the publically owned company to be run in the interests of the community being an essential service.
“We know they are shifty after witnessing 10 years of attacks, but to use a once in a hundred year Pandemic to force through a 4 year agreement is a new low.”
“Workers are absolutely seething, TasNetworks told them that this time would be different and then use this unprecedented crisis to continue substandard employment arrangements.”
The Unions say that not only have the company sought to capitalise on restricted group gatherings to limit works ability to discuss and propose a way forward, the company waited until a Fair Work Commissioner who was assisting bargaining went on holidays to spring their trap.
Australian Services Union Organiser Karen Tantari said that not only is it a disgrace for TasNetworks to be the first Organisation in Australia to break Fair Work Commission assisted bargaining, but to use the Covid-19 crisis to lock workers into a workplace agreement for four years without negotiations being complete on a number of key issues is abhorrent.
“Unbelievably, the company chose to drop this bomb on workers the day that the Fair Work Commissioner who was helping the process began a period of leave”
A survey of Union members had already shown that workers are furious, and intend to lock in for a protracted fight to be treated fairly.
The Unions raised the situation formally with the Liberal Government and were told that it was an operational matter.
“When the Gutwien Liberal government puts that much distance between themselves their state run business, its massive show of no confidence in this disgraceful act,” said Professionals Australia Director Luke Crowley.
The Unions reiterated their offer to delay negotiations for 12 months like has been done at Hydro and many other public and private businesses, to resume when it is hoped community conditions have returned to normal. ... See MoreSee Less