May 15 to 22 was National Road Safety Week – a week to highlight the impact of road trauma and ways to reduce it. If you’re injured in a car accident it can feel daunting trying to navigate the claims process to ensure you receive all your entitlements. Below we have a Q&A to assist you if you or someone you know has been in a transport accident.

How does car accident insurance work in Victoria?
In Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission (or the TAC) is the relevant insurer. When Victorians pay to register their car or other vehicle, part of that money goes to the TAC. The TAC spends some of this money on road safety but it also uses the money to pay for benefits and compensation to people who are injured in road accidents.

Why get a lawyer involved if you have an accident, why not just go direct to the TAC?
There are two key reasons to get legal advice.

Firstly, it is really important for people to understand what benefits are available and how to access them.  Our specialist lawyers can explain how the scheme works and provide individualised advice about what you will or won’t be entitled to.  We can guide you through the entire process and be your advocate.

Secondly, it is important to ensure that you obtain the best outcome.  We are experts in this area, we deal with the TAC every day and we know what your case is worth and how to get you what you deserve.

What type of things can you claim?
You may be able to claim for lost wages, medical, hospital and rehabilitation expenses. Travel costs, attendant care, home help and a lump sum payment (regardless of who caused the accident).

If the accident is the result of someone else’s negligence you may also be entitled to bring a Common Law claim for pain and suffering and future loss of wages.

Why Maurice Blackburn?
As Australia’s #1 Plaintiff law firm our team will fight to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, and we have a long and proud history of working with ASU members.

In Victoria, we have more personal injury accredited specialists than any other law firm—so you can be assured that the lawyer assigned to your case is an expert in the area and will maximize your entitlements.

But can’t involving a lawyer be expensive?
We work on a no win no fee basis, so if you don’t get a payout, we won’t charge you anything, and in most cases unlike many other law firms you won’t need to pay disbursements such as medical reports, court or barrister fees.

But you don’t need to worry as we’ll explain exactly how legal fees work from the outset of your claim to ensure full transparency.

What if you’re unsure of whether you are eligible to make a claim?
The best thing to do is get in contact with ASU Relationship Organiser at Maurice Blackburn, Jedd Rothman to discuss your options with you. You can reach Jedd on 0482 166 362 or at

You should contact us even if you were at fault or if you have an existing claim as we can assist at any stage of the process. We do find that a number of our clients will have lodged an initial claim but come to us when their medical or income expenses have been rejected or payments have ceased.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email