The ASU is concerned that Very Special Kids (VSK) plan to put a wage freeze to a vote.
The Very Special Kids and Family Support Team Enterprise Agreement 2018-2021 (the EA) detailed at s25 1(b) provides a pay increase of 3% from the first pay period on or after 1 July 2020.
VSK now seeks to vary the EA in order to freeze wage increases for VSK staff for 2020.
The ASU is calling an urgent meeting for ALL VSK staff (members and non-members) about the proposed wage freeze.
DATE: Thursday 28 May
ZOOM REGISTRATION: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqfu-oqDssGNeWr145k1OHFLSGG3tk1ESW
This meeting is being held to discuss the implications of this proposal and why it is important that all staff vote NO to the variation.
This wage increase was hard fought for by ASU members and certified as part of the agreement made with VSK in good faith.
VSK’s attempt to freeze this agreed wage increase is an insult to hard-working VSK employees, who have made every attempt to support and help the organization during the COVID-19 crisis.
There are other problems with the wage freeze proposal:
- VSK has refused to reveal their financial situation despite multiple staff asking for more info so they can make an informed choice
- this is unprecedented request and the only action of its kind in the community sector
- lack of financial transparency leaves it unclear as to why VSK wants to freeze wages
- VSK has received a grant for $2 million in block funding and been able to resume fundraising appeals recently with excellent success
- VSK has successfully applied for Job Keeper, this is currently applied to all staff and is greatly offsetting $1500/fortnight in wages per employee that VSK would otherwise be solely paying
- staff at VSK have already dropped work and flexible hours, stepped back from professional development entitlements and taken leave to reduce leave balances, supporting VSK in every way they can during this difficult period.
VSK staff are committed to supporting the organisation every way they can, but asking hard-working staff to now give up an EA mandated pay rise voted up by VSK employees and agreed by VSK is too much to ask.
The ASU strongly encourages ALL staff at VSK to vote NO to the wage freeze proposed by this amendment to the EA. You deserve full transparency and a clear explanation before foregoing any EA standards are considered.
For further information please contact:
ASU Organiser Maddie Henderson | 0409 677 506 | firstname.lastname@example.org