The ASU wrote to VicRoads on Monday raising a number of concerns in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. VicRoads responded today, and the Union has serious concerns about this response.
Of particular concern is the lack of action on key OH&S issues.
Management have advised that they are implementing the following measures:
- Reviewing all processes, including cash handling processes ensuring we are consistent with advice from DHHS as it comes through.
- Not stopping cash (and form) handling at this time, however directing customers to online services where able.
- Gloves and hand sanitizers are being provided across CSC’s.
- At risk staff have been moved away from customer facing roles into back office functions.
- Working with our contractors to increase cleaning regimes across all sites.
These do not go far enough.
We have responded by calling on Management to immediately;
- Close down all drive tests
- Prohibit members of the public who are displaying cold and/or flu symptoms from entering Customer Service Centres
And we have once again called on VicRoads to commit to providing paid leave to any Labour Hire staff who become ill with COVID-19 or are required to self-isolate. Other Victorian Public Sector Agencies such as CFA have committed to doing this, so there is no reason why VicRoads cannot do the same.
In the absence of the provision of paid leave, labour hire staff could find themselves in very dire circumstances if they are impacted by COVID-19. The problem of overuse of labour hire staff is entirely of VicRoads making, and the ASU has been pointing this out for many years. VicRoads cannot simply absolve itself of responsibility for this.
We will keep members updated of any developments.
The ASU has also written to the Treasurer seeking a halt to the process of scoping to sell off VicRoads. We say members can not be adequately consulted during the pandemic, and all steps should cease to progress this process.
Your union will keep you up to date as the situation progresses.
For further information please contact:
ASU Organiser Matt Price | 0407 362 764 | firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. By encouraging your workmates to join the ASU we will have a stronger voice for workers at VicRoads. It is easy for anyone who is not yet a member to join online at www.asu.asn.au/asujoin