Everyone has a right to a safe workplace, but ASU members are sometimes experiencing frustration when trying to improve safety at work.
The ASU is by your side with information, support, and advice to make work safer. So here are our top ten tips:
- Hazards: if you see something is unsafe, then report it.
- Risks: if you feel at risk of illness, injury, or death, then report the hazards
- Controls: if the current control of the hazard is weak, then report it.
- Duties: Your employer has a duty under s21 OHS Act to prevent danger. Remind them.
- Consultation: Your employer MUST under s35 OHS Act listen to you & respond.
- Health & Safety Representatives: you have the right to vote for your rep
- Resolving Issues: Your employer MUST communicate with you.
- Enforcement: If you make a report that hasn’t been resolved, a HSR can issue a Provisional Improvement Notice
- WorkSafe: if your report to your employer about workplace safety is being ignored, ring Worksafe 1800 136 089
- The ASU can support you every step of the way. Call 1300 855 570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a new HSR, you can choose the ASU to be your training provider and your employer MUST agree to this. The ASU will teach you how to use your powers as a new HSR to best protect you and your colleagues.
Workplace safety is union business, if you have concerns about safety at your workplace, talk to your elected Health & Safety Representative, or contact the ASU on 1300 855 570.