Announced investments in the recent state budget in the social and community services sector will be important to the recovery from Covid-19.
And we congratulate Andrews Government on a budget that funds community sector services and continues this government’s reputation as the most progressive in Victoria’s history.
The Andrews Government has made strong commitments in the community services sector that will address disadvantage and help vulnerable Victorians.
Some of the specific community sector funding announcements in this budget are;
- $5.3 billion for new social and public housing, which will lead to the creation of 60 new ongoing tenancy management positions progressively over the build
- $11m for extra support at hotels for the homeless
- The Pathway to recovery program for residents at Nth Melb and Flemington will receive $7m
- $6m for enhanced services at refuges, inc 24 hours intake and supports for people with complex needs
- $6m to expand a pilot program of higher apprenticeships and traineeships in social services – 400 workers will be funded to turn their on the job experience into a formal qualification
- $9m for “Care Hubs” – wrap-around support for kids entering residential care for the first time
- $90.2m – tailored care packages across care system to provide tailored and individual support for children and their carers to keep out of residential care
- $85.78m in support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families, inc $11.6m to establish Aboriginal-led family support teams at two pilot sites
- $15m sustainability fund for community organisations to support providers impacted financially by the pandemic
- $16.6m in pathways to employment programs for the community sector
- internships and support for undergrads in child protection
- carer relief and other supports for unpaid carers pursuing a career in community services
- traineeships in community organisations with focus on skill in family violence
- establishment of new FV grad program for young people to create a structured pathway