ASU officials are proud to work with ASU delegate Barb Higgins and casual delegates Raf McDonald and Toby Gooley over the last couple of months to ensure that City of Yarra does its best to redeploy its casual workforce.
Recent data provided indicates that 64 casuals have now been redeployed. Sadly almost 400 still have no income.
Your delegates have represented casual’s throughout discussions seeking;
- Access to sick leave for casuals – sign up to support the ACTU campaign here (embed link) https://www.australianunions.org.au/campaigns
- Concerns about the welfare of casuals
- Ensuring casuals have access to City of Yarra food relief
- Identifying redeployment opportunities
- Casuals access to leave to get a Covid test
- Consulted in risk assessment processes for reopening of services
- Access to intranet & electronic communications
- Recognition of casuals caring commitments
- Inclusion in staff meetings to ensure connection to the workplace
City of Yarra have committed to casuals accessing food relief, checking in on casuals, redeployment options and reporting on reasons redeployment has not occurred.
We are hopeful there will be genuine consideration of the value of employees accessing Covid 19 testing.
- Insecure work has never been more of a concern for those directly affected and never more pressing for all workers.
- Insecure work undermines everyone’s job security, wages and conditions
The COIVD19 pandemic has made visible inequities that have existed for a long time. Over reliance on a precarious workforce has been seen by employers as a strategy to cut costs.
What we know is that insecure work creates social insecurity.
Your employer knows that this problem is not going away and has proposed converting casuals with more than 5 years’ service based on their test for regular and systematic employment. Why not after 12 months and based on an established test for regularity?
The ASU will be discussing this proposal with City of Yarra delegates today at 12.30. Please contact delegates with your opinion on how to support casual workers.
In the meantime do a casual a favor reach out and share this newsletter today.
Your membership is your strength, know someone who is not a member? Pass this meeting notice onto them and ask them to join online at https://www.asu.asn.au/asujoin
For more information about the contents of this newsletter please contact Lead Organiser – Jane Karslake email@example.com
For further information or to become a Delegate please contact:
ASU Organiser Emma Bagg | firstname.lastname@example.org