As many of you will be aware, Launch Housing, have organised a vote on how as an organisation they choose to celebrate Australia Day.
The vote will take place over 5 days from 26 June to 2 July and will have two questions
- Should Launch Housing substitute the ‘Australia Day’ holiday for another day?
- Should that alternate date be the working day prior to the Christmas Day public holiday, or immediately following the New Year’s Day public holiday?
The ASU encourage you to inform yourself about the various views on Australia Day including how our indigenous communities have expressed themselves on this subject.
Ahead of the vote, we encourage you to read, reflect and contribute to this via Yammer or in your teams and sites, in your own respectful way.
A YES vote means:
- You would be required to work on 26 January, without the penalties typically applicable to this date.
- Instead, either the working day prior to Christmas or immediately following the New Year’s Day public holiday becomes a public holiday for all staff. If you are required to work on the alternate public holiday you would receive public holiday penalties.
A NO vote means:
- 26 January would remain a public holiday for all staff.
- You would not be required to work on 26 January unless rostered on. If you are required to work on this day you would receive public holiday penalties.
ASU delegates at Launch Housing led the push for a vote on the issue following a vote amongst members in 2018 which voted in favour of the proposal to ‘change the date’.
We encourage you to exercise your right to vote as part of the clause in the enterprise agreement which members fought for in the last negotiations.
For further information please contact:
The ASU Member Contact Centre | 1300 855 570 | email@example.com