What a roller-coaster for hard-working ASU members delivering in-home care services to valuable elderly community members.
After councillors made the decision to seek tenders, shattering the confidence and job security of staff in the process, having endured informative meetings being stopped, ongoing speculation about the future of their jobs, constant changes to deadlines and now going into Christmas no clearer on how much longer they will work for council.
Throughout this period, the ASU has been very active with strong support for Hobsons Bay home carers from members in other industries and the local community who have:
- attended member meetings
- undertaken action in the community via street stalls and flyer handouts
- letterboxed key areas of the municipality
- attended multiple council meetings and put questions to the councillors
- attended a community meeting in Yarraville
- gathered around 700 petitions (and counting) calling on Councillors to change their position
- assisted with contacting key community members
- contributed to articles in several news sources
The support from Hobsons Bay community members shows local people value council run home care services.
The fight isn’t over, and there’s still a lot to do. A decision is looming in February 2019, and the ASU is planning a lot more activity throughout January in the lead-up to this meeting. If you can assist please let us know and we’ll be in touch with more details in the New Year.
If you have any questions, please contact:
ASU Organiser Luke Cherry | 0417 472 497 | firstname.lastname@example.org