The role of a HSRSO
As a Health and Safety Representative’s (HSR) for your Designated Work Group (DWG), you should be encouraged, supported and protected at your workplace. A HSR plays a very important role in helping to keep the workplace safe. To assist you in this role, you can receive support and advice from not only the ASU but WorkSafe’s Health and Safety Representative Support Officers (HSRSOs) Team.
HSRSO’s can provide advice and assistance to HSRs by:
- Clarifying the interpretation and use of Part 7 (Representation of Employees) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (OHS Act)
- Meeting with HSR’s onsite or offsite or
- Accompanying an inspector (where appropriate)
- Helping employers to understand their obligations to HSR’s
HSRSO’s are not appointed Inspectors and:
- Can’t make determinations or give advice to WorkSafe Inspectors on how to make their determinations.
- And are not able to provide advice about workplace hazards and risks at the workplace.
Are you a HSR that has a question or needs support?
If you require any assistance from HSRSO’s, they are available via phone, email and face-to-face where necessary. You can contact a HSR Support Officer by emailing HSRSO@worksafe.vic.gov.au
HSR Support Officer Mike Craig will be a guest speaker at the next ASU HSR Bi-Monthly meeting.
DATE: Thursday 13 May
TIME: 11.00am – 12.30pm
REGISTRATION LINK: https://asu-asn-au.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMsdOqgrDIsH9LDU2HfF_kj_8_qCTd8THIa
Mike will be providing up to date information to HSR’s what and what their key role is at WorkSafe.
For further information please contact:
ASU OH&S Organiser Mick Vanbeek | 0438 133 363 | firstname.lastname@example.org