Years of underfunding and cost-shifting by the state and federal governments, together with rate capping, have hit councils hard. The costs of Councils increasingly relying on the use of a temporary workforce is now being felt across our membership.
The majority of Councils engage few casuals and responsibly provide casuals the option to convert to permanent roles. Figures provided by Yarra City Council show that 377 staff had been engaged as casuals in Libraries and Leisure areas. Neighbouring Councils employ few casuals with one employing none.
Without a secure income or sick leave, these workers are on the frontline of the COVID-19 crisis and are the collateral damage of Yarra’s overuse of a casual workforce. Already underemployed many will have little or no cash in reserve.
Councils everywhere are redeploying their casual workforce and providing them with income security. ASU members call on Yarra City Council to;
- Explore redeployment options for its casual workforce
- Convert casuals who work regular or systematic hours to permanent staff
- Provide all casuals with access to paid special leave if they are required to self isolate or diagnosed with Covid-19
- Provide an income to them while services are closed due to the virus.
We call on Yarra City to immediately commit to the minimum entitlement of all casuals to convert to a permanent role after 12 months https://mccabecurwood.com.au/casual-conversion-national-employment-standards/
Workplaces that do not provide support to workers to declare potential illnesses are increasing the risk to everyone.
What can you do?
- Have you been a casual for more than 12 months?
- The union movement is calling on the Morrison government to guarantee 2 weeks paid special leave for all workers. Sign the petition here to show your support.
- Are you or have you been a casual or do you have concerns about the use of casuals? Tell us your story.
- Forward this to a casual worker or non-member and ask them to join the ASU
It’s easy for anyone who is not yet a member of the ASU to join online at www.asu.asn.au/asujoin
For further information please contact one of your local ASU Delegates or
ASU Organiser Martin McDonald | 0418 513 379 | email@example.com