Whether you work in local government, for a SACS organisation, provide vital utilities to the community, or any other essential services delivered by ASU members, your health and wellbeing at work matters.
The following information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) is provided to support your safety at work and beyond the workplace.
WorkSafe Victoria has also issued an alert on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the workplace.
This alert provides advice on recommended ways to identify and control risks of exposure, even though there have been few diagnosed cases in Australia.
It reminds employers of their obligations under Legislation that they have a duty to provide and maintain, so far as is reasonably practicable, a working environment that is safe and without risks to the health of employees. This includes identifying risks to health or safety associated with potential exposure to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Additionally, everyone in the workplace should practise good hygiene by:
- regularly cleaning their hands with soap and water (minimum 20 seconds) or an alcohol-based hand rub. If hands are visibly dirty wash them with soap and water
- always washing hands with soap and water before eating and after visiting the toilet
- covering their nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing, and disposing of used tissues immediately
- avoiding close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- seeing a health care professional if they are unwell, and staying away from the workplace and other public places
The ASU cannot provide medical advice but can support members with information and advice about your employer’s workplace health and safety obligations.
For medial advice on Coronavirus (COVID-19) contact a medical professional.
For more information please contact:
ASU Member Contact Centre | 1300 855 570 | firstname.lastname@example.org