Union members are telling us that it is really frustrating trying to improve safety at work.
The ASU is committed to providing information, support and advice to make work safer, so here are our top ten tips:
- Hazards: if you see something is unsafe then report it.
- Risks: if you feel at risk of illness, injury or death then report the hazards
- Controls: if the current control of the hazard is weak then report it.
- Duties: Your employer has a duty under s21 OHS Act to prevent danger. Remind them.
- Consultation: Your employer MUST under s35 OHS Act listen to you & respond.
- HSRs: you have the right to vote for your rep
- Resolving Issues: Your employer MUST communicate with you.
- Enforcement: If your report on Elumina hasn’t been resolved then an HSR can issue a PIN
- Worksafe: if your Elumina report is being ignored then ring Worksafe 1800 136 089
- The union can support you every step of the way. Call 1300 855 570
If you are a new HSR, you can choose the ASU to be your training provider and your employer MUST agree to this. The ASU will teach you how to use your powers as a new HSR to best protect you and your colleagues.
Remember, OHS is Union business, if you have concerns about OHS talk to your staff elected HSR, or contact the ASU on 1300 855 570.
For further information please contact:
ASU Organiser Cindy O’Connor | firstname.lastname@example.org