During this unprecedented time, a number of issues have faced Anglicare residential and refuge members regarding personal safety and leave.
Your ASU delegates and Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) have been working hard to get through these and ensure problems are rectified ASAP.
Issues faced by members have included lack of soap and sanitiser in houses, lack of masks and gloves and generally poor communication regarding health and safety. Anglicare has since agreed to work with ASU and reached agreement on many issues.
Some of the contingencies put in place for members are:
- 2 days special leave those working in residential, after hours and refuge roles. This will include two days paid leave for those requiring testing, and 14 additional paid days for those required to self-isolate.
- Contingency properties to be made available to allow for any young person who is required to self-isolate to be separated from other young people, to be supported by dedicated, on-site carers.
- Additional staffing on shifts to support existing staff
- Supply packs of personal protective equipment (PPE), including masks, gowns, glasses and gloves for every 24-hour service
- Cleaning hours have been doubled to ensure a deep clean, every time, every day, 7 days per week.
- Non-contact thermometers are being distributed to all units with instructions on use and testing.
In addition to this Anglicare has agreed to meet weekly with HSRs and your ASU Organiser to discuss any issues as they arise. This is a significant shift and win for members and ensures that your health and safety is a priority during this pandemic. It shows that it pays to be a member of your union!
A reminder that there are ASU Zoom meetings coming up on 8 April to discuss how the coronavirus pandemic is impacting the sector. Members are strongly encouraged to attend one of the meetings and share your experience with others across the industry. More info/ RSVP here.
If you have questions or concerns about the measures at your workplace please contact:
ASU Organiser Joanne McEvoy | 0437 035 721 | email@example.com
Pass this newsletter on to your colleagues, encourage them to join the ASU Zoom meeting and actively look out for each other’s health and safety. If your colleagues aren’t yet members of the ASU, encourage them to join today. It’s quick and easy to join here
Want more info on COVID-19? https://www.asuvictas.com.au/covid-19-advice-and-information-from-the-asu/