We are celebrating this week, leading up to the seventh anniversary of ASU Equal Pay instalments on 1 December! Each day a new video of ASU members talking about how the Equal Pay decision has made life better for them can be viewed on the ASU Facebook page. Check them out at: https://www.facebook.com/ASUVicTas/
What is Equal Pay? Why?
On 1 December each year the SCHCADS Award rate of pay increases in accordance with the Equal Remuneration Order resulting from the ASU Equal Pay case. Why? Well, it’s because your work has been undervalued, largely because the SACS sector is mainly made up of women workers. Your Equal Pay increases did not happen by accident and they certainly weren’t “given” to you. ASU members like you fought to make it fairer.
ASU SACS Equal Pay (aka the Equal Remuneration Order or ERO) resulted from a national case and campaign fought by ASU members from 2010 to 2012. It was much more than just a legal case at the Fair Work commission. ASU SACS members rallied, held flashmobs, spoke to the press, wrote postcards to and lobbied politicians and held workplace meetings.
Just how unfair was it?
Fair Work handed down increases to the Award of between 23% to 45%. These are being delivered over nine instalments, up to 2020, in addition to the annual 1 July award increases. For more info, go to Equal Pay Fact Sheet: https://www.asuvictas.com.au/members/publications/
How can we prevent the pay gap opening up again in the SACS sector?
By continuing to fight!
- This means speaking with your colleagues about joining the ASU and getting involved in campaigns to make working in social and community services in Victoria and Tasmania better paid and more secure. Visit asuvictas.com.au
- Hold a workplace meeting and share this information with others. Use the Equal Pay Fact Sheet as a conversation starter: https://www.asuvictas.com.au/members/publications/
- Organise an ASU visit at your workplace to discuss the equal pay decision or other ASU campaigns please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 855 570
- Check your pay rate is correct today! The ASU publishes pay rates for members:
- Join the ASU Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ASUVicTas/
If you would like to arrange a visit at your workplace to discuss the Equal Pay decision or other ASU campaigns please email email@example.com or call 1300 855 570